Welcome to 5th USICON 2021
Faculty of Ushuluddin and Islamic Thought, Sunan Kalijaga State Islamic University proudly presents the 5th Ushuluddin International Conference (USICON) on , 27-28 July 2021. The 5th USICON 2021 is hosted by Faculty of Ushuluddin and Islamic Thought. The conference will be held online on under the theme “Religion and Pandemic in The Chaotic Order”. The first USICON was held successfully on 2017 in Yogyakarta. The second USICON was also held in Yogyakarta on 2018. The third USICON has been held on 2019 in Yogyakarta, Indonesia and in collaboration with Center fo the Study of Religion, Philosophy and Society and Faculty of Ushuluddin and Islamic Thought, Esensia, FORMASI, CRCS (Center for Religious and Cross-Cultural Studies) Gadjah Mada University.
Objectives and Scope
The COVID-19 pandemic has exacerbated existing socio-economic challenges confronting us today. Meanwhile, during this pandemic, religion has been playing two very different roles; on the one hand it has become the source of hope in the time of uncertainty and chaos, while on the other hand religious motivations have caused some people to undermine the collective fight against the pandemic.
Ushuluddin International Conference (USICON) would like to invite scholars of Islamic theology, philosophy, Qur’an and hadith studies, religious studies, sociology of religion, or any relevant area of research to submit research papers on the following topics.
- Religious moderation and extremism: exploring the manifestations of religious moderation or extremism in the context of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Mediatization of religions; how various kinds of media have shaped the discourse on religion and the pandemic.
- Islamic and comparative Eco-theology; exploring the environmental issues surrounding the pandemic from Islamic or comparative eco-theological perspectives.
- Sufism and mental health; the role of tasawwuf in the struggle against mental health problems in the time of the pandemic
- Women and gender issues: gender-related problems in the context of the pandemic.
- Philosophy of uncertainty: exploring the question of uncertainty, chaos, and order from theological and philosophical perspectives.
- Religion, pandemic and art: artistic expressions of religion in the context of the pandemic
- Abstract submission deadline : 1 June 2021
- Notification of acceptance : 7 June 2021
- Full paper submission : 20 July 2021
- Seminar date : 27-28 July 2021
Opening speaker :
Budi Gunadi Sadikin, CHFC, CLU* (Ministry of Health, Republic of Indonesia)
- Dr. Phil. Al-Makin, S.Ag., M.A (Rector UIN Sunan Kalijaga Yogyakarta)
- Inayah Rochmaniyah (Dean of Department of Ushuluddin and Islamic Thought)
- Prof. Muhamad Ali, M.Sc., Ph.D (University of California, Riverside)
- Dr. Shoaib Ahmed Malik (Zayed University, Dubai)
- Prof. Dr. Frans Wijsen (Radboud University, Nijmegen)
- Dr. Timothy Winter*
- Dr. H. Siswanto Masruri, M.A. (UIN Sunan Kalijaga, Yogyakarta)
- Munawar Ahmad, S.S. M.Si. (UIN Sunan Kalijaga, Yogyakarta)
- Dr. Phil. Sahiron, M.A. (UIN Sunan Kalijaga, Yogyakarta)
- Dr. Alim Riswantoro, M.Ag (UIN Sunan Kalijaga, Yogyakarta)